[erlang-questions] Rebar & Cowboy on Windows 7

David Mercer dmercer@REDACTED
Mon Oct 8 19:22:37 CEST 2012

On Monday, October 08, 2012, Loïc Hoguin wrote:

> It's automated on Linux because of the Makefile, you can just type "make"
> there. Not sure the same can be done for Windows without a lot of
> manipulations.

In my experience, Makefiles in Windows get all screwed up with the directory separator.  I'll give it a whirl, though, and see if anyone's version of make on Windows works.

> Neither, the proper way is building your own releases. Releases will then
> include both erl.exe and Cowboy and all the applications required.
>
> The examples use -pa only for demonstration purposes, I recommend building
> releases even while developing.

Good advice, which is probably what I would do if using Rebar in my development.  Not previously having Rebar at my disposal, release-making was a bit over-complicated for some of the stuff I did.

> Can you try "rebar edoc"? It's supposed to generate the API reference.

"rebar doc" works fine, and I looked at the documentation on Friday; it just didn’t help me.

For example:

	start_http(Ref::any(), NbAcceptors::non_neg_integer(), TransOpts::any(), ProtoOpts::any()) -> {ok, pid()}

I am still none the wiser as to what to pass the start_http function.

> Please do send a patch, that'd be much appreciated!
>
> And yeah the example can probably be improved a little using the mimetypes
> application. Feel free to send a patch for that, too.

Will do, once I figure out the Git Hub process.  Is Git Hub now preferred over Bit Bucket?

Cheers,

DBM