[erlang-questions] Erlang http servers

Wed Oct 3 10:04:30 CEST 2012

On Oct 2, 2012, at 4:18 PM, "Thomas Allen" <thomas@REDACTED> wrote:

> I couldn't disagree with that much more ... npm/Node.js is cluttered with
> packages of dubious quality that are not maintained in the slightest, and
> while this "Wild West" they prefer may seem exciting, I do not think it
> bodes well for the long-term stability of projects that depend on these
> packages.

Two ideas spring to mind immediately.

First, one should definitely not make the package repository a dump. You want to make package rules. Does it have documentation? Does it have a test suite? Can the test suite be run automatically? Semantic versioning? And so on. Is the package experimental, does it have real world uses?

Furthermore, we could definitely adopt the ideas from the haskell-platform: A set of well-defined and stable packages are made into a basis library. Packages from the dump "graduate".

Jesper Louis Andersen
  Erlang Solutions Ltd., Copenhagen