[erlang-questions] Erlang http servers

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Tue Oct 2 17:52:37 CEST 2012

I agree with Joe that having a design of the HTTP server architecture
included in OTP that would offer standardized internal API and allow
developers to either replace selected functionality via providing
callback modules or swap the HTTP servers easily would be a great plus.

Concerning inets, what's really strange is that whenever we see some
benchmarks posted comparing performance of different HTTP
implementations, inets is never included there, though I would think, it
would make more sense in terms of showing how a custom implementation
compares to what's included in OTP.  Does it have to do something with
what Loïc referred to as inets being well hidden in OTP?  I doubt, but
if not that, then what?  There are not even benchmarks comparing yaws to
inets, and despite the fact that both offer a rich set of functionality
make one wonder was was the idea of writing yaws in the first place
given existence of inets' httpd.

Diversity is good, but at some point it creates a burden for the user
who needs to make a selection of an HTTP server for his project.
Instead of solving the application-related problem, now the task becomes
studying several implementations to see which one offers a feature-set
best suited for the problem being solved, and the answer to that
question is not always straightforward.

Perhaps a good initiative from the OTP team would be to spec out the
open architecture of an HTTP server and welcome feedback from authors of
current http libraries, so that the successor of inets would be flexible
enough to accommodate building light-weight and heavy-weight HTTP
servers based on the supported code base included in OTP?  This would
also open a possibility of diversity for library writers
replacing/enhancing parts to suit their needs.

Serge