[erlang-questions] recommended ways to pass config to a dep app

Max Lapshin max.lapshin@REDACTED
Fri Nov 16 16:19:17 CET 2012

> IMO application:start/1 is also a bad smell outside dev/test modes.
> When you deploy as an Erlang release, applications are started by the
> init system process.

I've tried to use releases in erlyvideo for a year and totally refused from
then and I don't see even a single reason for me to return back to them.
So, there is nothing bad in application:start/1, it is a good way to deploy
and launch system.

There is a nice startup function now in erlyvideo, that does all setup
(which differs for runtime and for tests), it loads
all data from config file.

application config file is a bad place for configuring your application,
because it generates nowadays from app.src and exists somewhere in
/usr/lib/...

configuration file lives in /etc/