[erlang-questions] recommended ways to pass config to a dep app

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Fri Nov 16 15:35:42 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 8:28 AM, AD <straightflush@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I am abstracting some code into a "library" that can be included in other
> applications.  This library requires a fair bit of config options, what is
> the recommended approach here when starting it up?
>
>  I noticed some libraries like cowboy, you pass all the configs into the
> main  start_http() method, others use include files.
>
>  Is there a preferred mechanism here when there are 20-25 config options for
> the included application?

The canonical approach is explained here:

http://www.erlang.org/doc/design_principles/applications.html#id74117

The inets application is a good example of how one can hide a lot of
complexity behind the application abstraction, and use Erlang's
standard app config mechanism to customize behavior.

Garrett