[erlang-questions] { ProcessName, NodeName } ! Message VS rpc:call/4 VS HTTP/1.1 across Erlang Nodes

Chandru chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@REDACTED
Thu Nov 15 06:16:16 CET 2012

While the message passing or RPC (which is really just message passing
under the hood) approach will work, you have to be make sure you build in
some overload control on the client side. Otherwise the client can easily
overwhelm the server process with messages, and kill the server node. The
receiving side has no built in control for overload protection.

With HTTP, you can get that by letting your HTTP client do the throttling.
That said, it does come with a processing overhead.

cheers
Chandru