[erlang-questions] Weird Client SSL Behavior / Performance

Chandru chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@REDACTED
Mon May 21 01:29:55 CEST 2012

Hi John,

On 20 May 2012 15:27, John-Paul Bader <hukl@REDACTED> wrote:

> After trying out various settings for lhttpc without any improvement on
> the situation we added ibrowse instead. ibrowse behaved much nicer as it
> was not leaking processes and also did not accumulate the WAIT or TIME_WAIT
> connections that showed up before in netstat. We told it to open 300
> connections and that was the exact amount it opened.

Glad you find it useful!

> This is somehow unsatisfactory though.
>
> First of all I'd really like to know why the problem occurs in the first
> place and why it creates so much load in general. Stunnel deals with the
> same load with 1/3 or even less than that of what the erlang vm needs. For
> now at least I'm a little bit underwhelmed of erlangs ssl stability and
> performance (I was bitten by the R14B03 bug as well).

I don't have a solution to your problem, but my experience with the SSL
implementation has been the same. I use stunnel wherever I need SSL
support, and for services which handle lots of traffic, I use an SSL
accelerator box to front the erlang nodes.

cheers
Chandru