[erlang-questions] Directory layout for installing 3rd party Erlang libs

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Sat May 12 11:45:29 CEST 2012

Peter, one motivation is to handle installed library apps separately so that multiple otp installations can share them (allowing for potential incompatibility). IIRC a lot of experienced folks have recommend this over installing to lib_dir and there are probably other factors. Not least of these could be permissions - I don't want my installs to belong to the standard user/group, but I do want it to be easy to interact with ERL_LIBS without needing sudo et al.

Bottom line is, it depends on what people expect.