[erlang-questions] Safe way to cache atoms in NIF: driver_mk_atom replacement

Sverker Eriksson sverker@REDACTED
Fri May 4 16:11:01 CEST 2012

Currently atoms are independent of environment (ErlNifEnv). That is, you
can cache atoms by storing them in static variables as done in crypto.c.
This is an undocumented feature however.

To compensate for future possible introduction of atom-GC I have thought
of documenting this feature with some restriction. Something like

"Atoms created in load/upgrade callbacks are static and can be used in
any environment"

/Sverker, Erlang/OTP