[erlang-questions] Building, Packaging and Installing

Ciprian Dorin Craciun ciprian.craciun@REDACTED
Wed May 2 20:39:34 CEST 2012

    (As no-one replied in 4 days, I'll add my opinion...)

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Tristan Sloughter
<tristan.sloughter@REDACTED> wrote:
> I started with this problem as something to simply discuss with the
> maintainers of certain build and package management projects -- sinan and
> agner specifically. But it seems to be more broad and cover how all of us
> who keep apps on github handle versioning and dependencies.
>
> The basic issue is app versions within .app files on branches in github, the
> resultant directory from a agner install and the discrepancies this causes.
>
> [...]
>
> Am I the only one going crazy with this?

    Nop. I've been faced with this problem myself a couple of times.
(I've chosen to ignore it.)

> Does anyone have
> suggestions/examples of what they do for production projects on teams to
> ease these annoyances?

    For example for my project I have one big Git repository called
`myproject-repositories` (replace `myproject` with what you need) with
submodules pointing to the dependencies.

    Then inside my own project repositories I have a symlink
`.repositories` poiting to the "current" snapshot of dependencies.

    I also don't use any of rebar, agner, etc., mainly because I've
hacked something on-top of the ninja build system.

> I mostly just create my own packages and repos of dependencies, or package
> third party deps with the project.

    Yup. +1 :)

    P.S.: I hate Java from the bottom of my heart, but boy-o-boy is
the Java tooling way better than that of Erlang... I mean what Erlang
is missing is something similar to NodeJS's NPM, or Java's Maven
(minus the XML baggage and all useless complexities), or Python
setup-tools (with virtual environment), etc...