[erlang-questions] Parameterized module initialization

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Wed Jun 27 09:09:53 CEST 2012

On 06/27/2012 02:40 AM, Richard O'Keefe wrote:

> On 27/06/2012, at 5:33 AM, Andrew Berman wrote:
>
>> I'd also like to know why there are "hidden" features of Erlang in the first place.
>

> Because it isn't dead.  New ideas get tried, and sane designers don't take it
> for granted that their precious new idea is going to be right first time.
> So initial implementations get short-cuts so that people can get some
> experience with a new feature before designing and documenting the Real Thing.
>
> Strictly speaking, in this case it isn't the *feature* (parameterised modules)
> that is hidden but the *implementation* of that feature.

Sure, but these kind of things are better kept in an experimental
branch, not in the real thing where popular projects start using them
and people deploy them in production.

--
Loïc Hoguin
Erlang Cowboy