[erlang-questions] [ANN] SublimErl v0.2 - with code completion

OvermindDL1 overminddl1@REDACTED
Mon Jun 18 00:57:27 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Vlad Dumitrescu <vladdu55@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 8:24 PM, OvermindDL1 <overminddl1@REDACTED> wrote:
>> Why would I use Sublime Text 2 over Eclipse/ErlIDE or so?  I really,
>> like really cannot stand Eclipse, tends to start eating a few gigs of
>> memory then saying it is out of handles then just kind of vanishes
>> after a time (on windows, linux, multiple variations of each, no
>> plugins installed, multiple java versions, etc...), so looking for a
>> replacement would be nice.  The code-completion alone is the one of
>> the largest reasons I do not use Emacs (yes I know Emacs has code
>> completion but it is rather clunky), and Eclipse code completion is
>> not very quick (cannot keep up with my typing speed), and it appears
>> to have tabbed support, so I am curious what else is there that makes
>> it a good replacement, such as does it handle any sort of code
>> editor with code completion)?
>
> This gets a little out of topic, but you might want to know that we
> are working hard to improve the response time for Erlide and the plan
> is to get a new engine somewhere at the end of the summer. Also, the
> completion uses Ctrl-Space instead of tab; you can bind another key
> like Tab but that may disable other functionality and you need to do
> it for every new workspace.
>
> Regarding Eclipse as a memory and resources hog, I fully agree. It's
> far from optimal, but for me the advantages are balancing this. I will
> confess that part of these advantages are things that I am planning to
> implement, so I am aware that few others have the same attitude :-)
>
> best regards,
> Vlad

<offtopic>

I look forward to seeing ErlIDE grow, but I still hate hitting
Ctrl+Space to bring up completion, I like it automatic (too used to
other IDEs) and fast enough to keep up with my typing (that can well
exceed 100wpm at times, not so much in programming, but when the
interfaces freezes for a second that just kills the 'flow', Eclipse
problem, not ErlIDE).  But still, just using Eclipse for Java work,
with no secondary plugins installed at all, just what comes with it,
Eclipse eventually *always* dies in the above situation I stated, and
it still does with ErlIDE, or C++, or a few other things I tried.
Eclipse is horrendously unstable for long-term use.  Netbeans has
always been stable for me for Java work, but the tools I use for Java
do not support it, for Erlang I mostly use emacs (again, code
completion issues there, and more), I use KDevelop for C++ (Visual
Studio with the Visual Assist plugin installed in the past, Visual
Assist is such bliss, I wish it supported KDevelop, or really anything
that runs on linux).

I am pretty sure I know why Eclipse dies, it seems to be related to
its process spawning for debugging leaking handles, if I use Eclipse
without ever debugging (so basically not using it beyond as a text
editor) then I have ran it for a week without it crashing.

Thus brings me to really looking toward a KDevelop level IDE for C++,
but for Erlang.  I want real-time code completion that keeps up with
how I type, tabs, being able to see multiple tabs at once, debugging
utilities (tracing things for Erlang specific debugging would be
*amazing*), and so forth few other things as the very basics.

</offtopic>

Hence I have hope for this SublimErl, if it can become a wonderfully
response little IDE for Erlang with the above features, even with its
cost I would buy and use the parent program.  :)

<offtopic>
If you have ideas for fixing Eclipse so it is actually stable for
once, and I have tried a *lot* so far, I would be happy to try.
</offtopic>