[erlang-questions] Java error making docs in R15B01

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Thu Jun 14 10:35:04 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 1:54 AM, Richard O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 7/06/2012, at 11:59 PM, Michael Turner wrote:
>
>> "By the way, are the DTDs used in building Erlang/OTP documentation
>> *documented* anywhere?"
>>
>> Didn't Ulf just point them out on another thread?
>
> E-mail is a *distributed* system.  Ulf's message saying where to
> find the documentation arrived in my mailbox the day after I sent
> my question.
>
> The right thing, of course, is for each of the DTDs to contain
> a comment saying where to find the documentation, or better still,
> for the documentation to be automatically extracted from comments
> in the DTDs.
>
> There are some issues that are not documented.
>
> When I've set up DTDs and had a use for something that was also
> found in HTML, I have generally use the HTML names for things.
> so on.  When I'm told to use <row> instead of <tr>, I want to
> know why.  Perhaps some other template is being copied?
> DocBook maybe?  It would be useful to know, because I might find
> useful background in the thing that was copied.

As far as I am aware the design is ad-hock and not based on anything else.

I am currently revising the DTDs. My goal is one DTD, as near as possible
to a subset of XHTML with additional tags for Erlang specific things. I will
also remove rare tags that are hardly every used.

> Similarly, the HTML 3.2 character entities are copied, well and
> good, but why not the HTML 4 ones?  I'm thinking of section 24.3
> "Character entity references for symbols, mathematical symbols,
> and Greek letters" with pubid "-//W3C//ENTITIES Symbols//EN//HTML".
> If we're using xsltproc and FOP, which use Unicode, what's wrong
> with these Unicode characters?  Can I use numeric references to
> get them?  If there's some basic limit here, if, for example, it
> is still thought important to generate pure HTML 3.2, I'd like
> to know.  Or is it a limitation of UNIX man pages?  Need that
> limit apply to documents that won't be processed by troff?

I'll investigate this...

/Joe