[erlang-questions] Regarding the life cycle of ERL_NIF_TERM

Sverker Eriksson sverker.eriksson@REDACTED
Mon Jun 11 15:06:04 CEST 2012

I realize that the documentation might be a bit ambiguous here.
We are actually talking about lifetimes of two different entities:

1. An Erlang term.
2. An ERL_NIF_TERM value as a reference to a term.

For process independent environments both term and reference have the
same lifetime, that is the same as the lifetime of the environment.

For process bound environments the lifetime of a term is determined by
the GC. Passing a term as argument to a NIF will not affect the lifetime
of the term.
The lifetime of an ERL_NIF_TERM reference is however limited to the
execution scope of the NIF. The reference is only valid until the NIF
returns. A subsequent call to the same NIF from the same process with
the same term as argument may result in a different ERL_NIF_TERM value.

/Sverker, Erlang/OTP Ericsson