[erlang-questions] The Trinity: ERTS, Emulator, Shell

Prashant Sharma meetprashant007@REDACTED
Mon Jun 11 13:49:15 CEST 2012

Avinash,

He said so because generally these things are obvious. I like your
enthusiasm, I will try if I can help!

-detached
Starts the Erlang runtime system detached from the system console.
Useful for running daemons and backgrounds processes.

Means it will deamonize the process.
http://www.itp.uzh.ch/~dpotter/howto/daemonize?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
(Full explanation, If you love C)

Which means the process has no terminal(parent) process attached.
Which in effect would mean that the process does not print anything on
the console nor can you stop or interact with it.

And when we say no input or no shell. That means the process can not
receive anything through pipes as in

ls | erl
Eshell V5.10  (abort with ^G)
1> * 2: syntax error before: core
1> *** Terminating erlang (nonode@REDACTED)
See its reporting errors as it is trying to interpret input as commands.

ls | erl -noinput

will not show such behavior.

Not sure if you are already aware about unix pipes and input of a
shell command as argument or via pipe. The above command simply closes
its pipe.
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Pipes-and-FIFOs.html

Try this you get the clarity.

To the list: Please correct me If I am wrong.

So before you start reading the books on erlang. You can get some idea
about these things, I had say try writing an application using MPI and
stuff just so you understand the pain of doing those things in C.
Those books start and teach from the perspective of erlang.

>From this thread a question sparked in my mind, which is "What would
one need to know to start learning or working on erlang.?" That would
mean everything, (Things like understand operating system, processes
etc). Wish I could list down everything !