[erlang-questions] Learning Erlang

Erik Søe Sørensen eriksoe@REDACTED
Fri Jun 8 23:42:31 CEST 2012

2012/6/8 Ian <hobson42@REDACTED>

> Hi All,
>
> Is there a book, on-line resource, or even a well written open-source
> project, that would help me understand how to write good clean Erlang code?

My "A guide to the Erlang Style"[1] was/is meant to be just that: An
attempt to put into words what I've learnt about style in Erlang.
It's not about how to program in Erlang, but how to design in Erlang (the
small and the large stuff); i.e. not about how to express some
functionality at all, but how it can be expressed in different ways and the
trade-offs involved (including such things as convention).

Even so, I've come to feel that I ought to know more of L.Y.S.E -- the free
Erlang introduction which is often mentioned --, lest I just end up
duplicating parts of work, inferiorly...
However, reading L.Y.S.E. is yet another thing to spend my
'all-too-plentiful' spare time on, and thorough as it may be, I don't
expect to learn much Erlang from it (most of the chapters, anyway).

One thing experience has told me is that I can waste a lot of time
duplicating things which others have the time and resources to do better.
My pendulum is, these years, at the extreme where I assume most things have
already been done, so that I need to make sure something is worth doing -
and that I'm going about it the right way - before putting much work into
it. That isn't too productive either; hopefully I'll get to a more balanced
point.

Anyway, long story short, I'll probably be doing other things until I have
a better idea of whether I'm on the right track, and what questions I
should focus on answering.
(When I announced the project on Twitter, the only feedback I got was in
the form of a number of people starting watching the Github repo.
Encouraging, to be sure, but not very useful as guidance; I don't even know
whether they saw something useful there or just hoped that there would
eventually be something useful :-))

[1] https://github.com/eriksoe/AGttES