[erlang-questions] pg2 vs gproc?

Eric Moritz eric@REDACTED
Wed Jun 6 14:50:53 CEST 2012

Yes, if you register a property key, you can retrieve all the procs that
have that property set.  For instance a fanout pub/sub can be accomplished
doing:

subscribe(Channel) ->
    gproc:reg({p, l, {subscribers,
                               Channel}}).

publish(Channel, Msg) ->
    gproc:send({p, l, {subscribers,
                                  Channel}},
                         Msg).

If a process calls publish/2, the message will be sent to every process
that called subscribe/1.

I'm on my phone so it's a bit hard to look up the details, if you want to
get a list of pids that called subscribe, look at the code of
gproc:send/2.  I think the function is called lookup_pids/1 but I may be
wrong.

The etorrent project uses gproc.  That's a good read if you want to see how
to use gproc.  He uses property keys for each torrent file process as well
as using await to delay initialization of gen_servers that depend on other
gen_servers.

Eric Moritz.