[erlang-questions] Trace-Driven Development

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Wed Jun 6 08:53:53 CEST 2012

Michael Truog:
"The tendency to use print statements is a habit from other languages
and is often the common denominator when debugging, so making tracing
as simple as a print statement (documentation-wise and usability-wise)
seems like a sensible goal."

A very sensible goal.

Early on in using seq_trace, I mixed the styles, but it was annoying
because my io:format() calls resulted in message passing in the io
module, which got traced by seq_trace when tracing was on, and my
trace collections were often trashed with distracting stuff about io.
Clearly, I needed some way to filter my traces, or I had to give up
print-statement-style tracing. But because I'd been scared off of
trace-matching, and didn't want to give up prints, I decided instead
to write something like this, in my improvised layer over seq_trace
called "ts":

format(Fmt,Args) ->
    Save = seq_trace:set_token([]),  % turn off tracing, if it's on
    io:format (Fmt, Args),
    seq_trace:set_token(Save).  % turn tracing back on again, if it was off

Wherever I had an io:format call in my code, I replaced the "io" with "ts".

This is just a stopgap. My ts can't wrap everything in OTP. It shows
only what a relative Erlang newbie (i.e., me) would do with a
non-mainstream tracer package (seq_trace) while grappling with a mix
of styles. And that I mixed styles is probably important too: I think
newbies will want to cling to the old life-preserver while they grope
for the ladder. Unless I'm out in left field yet again.

-michael turner