[erlang-questions] FOP (was: Re: Trace-Driven Development)

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Wed Jun 6 00:53:49 CEST 2012

On 6/06/2012, at 3:30 AM, Michael Turner wrote:
> But really: just give me a wiki. Give everybody a wiki. Write scripts
> to update the repo from the wiki diffs, if that's so important.

For the sake of suffering humanity, forfend!

The next time someone offers me a wiki instead of documentation,
I am going to be exceedingly angry.  I have never yet found any
wikified documentation that was worth printing to wipe my arse with.

I do apologise for the vulgarity, but good documentation needs
good technical writing and technical writing is a skill that is
distinct from programming, although some people can do both well.
It needs a *global* view as well as attention to fine detail.

> Generally, lower the bar for entry, for those who want to improve the
> documentation, and the documentation *will* improve.

Someone recently wrote something about the sky turning green then
yellow, didn't they?  How is *lowering the bar* going to result in
anything *improving*?  It might get more *voluminous*, but better?

What we really need is a small number of good technical writers
and money to pay them.