[erlang-questions] Return status of gen_udp send

Torben Hoffmann torben.lehoff@REDACTED
Mon Jun 4 09:33:42 CEST 2012

You cannot make any assumptions about how often the missile hits.
What you know for sure is that you will not be notified about the
success or failure.

 From the Wikipedia entry on UDP:
> UDP uses a simple transmission model without implicit handshaking
> dialogues for providing reliability, ordering, or data integrity.
> Thus, UDP provides an unreliable service and datagrams may arrive out
> of order, appear duplicated, or go missing without notice. UDP assumes
> that error checking and correction is either not necessary or
> performed in the application, avoiding the overhead of such processing
> at the network interface level.
So you have to think about how to deal with this.

UDP is similar to message passing in Erlang, you cannot be sure that a
message is received, but unlike UDP, you can be sure that there are no
duplicates and that messages arrive in order (but you cannot be
guaranteed that the receiver processes them in order).

Cheers,
__
/orben

http://www.linkedin.com/in/torbenhoffmann