[erlang-questions] A visual tour of Erlang

Torben Hoffmann torben.lehoff@REDACTED
Sun Jun 3 07:39:58 CEST 2012

Hi Anoop,

Erlang has its own VM, so all those processes are very lightweight compared to OS processes.

The basic unit of computation in Erlang is a process with its own memory space and you can only communicate with a process by sending it a message.

This set-up is necessary if you want to build a fault tolerant system - the last ingredience is the ability to link and monitor processes. Two linked processes will die if either of them dies. A monitor will be notified if the process it monitors die.

These simple mechanisms is what allows Erlang to work so well.

Hope this clarifies things a bit for you.

Cheers,
Torben

Sent from my iPhone