[erlang-questions] unanswered beginner questions in the list

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Fri Jun 1 17:21:27 CEST 2012

On 1 Jun 2012, at 09:22, Joe Armstrong wrote:

> What usually happens is - I read the list every day and see a lot of
> questions that I know
> how to answer - but I don't immediately answer.
>
> The reason for this is that a) I haven't time and b)  I hope somebody
> else will answer
> and then I won't need to.

I also tend to defer answering to a lot of questions, for the above reasons,
but also because I think answering questions is a great way for people
to grow into the community, and I don't want to deny anyone that
opportunity. :)

In my experience, this works pretty well, though. A few questions may fall
through the cracks, but most of the time, I think people try to answer
questions quickly and in a helpful tone.

And as Raimo said, the best way to get an answer is to resend, if a
few days have passed - most likely, the question is then no longer on
anyone's radar, but a polite reminder will usually do the trick.

BR,
Ulf

Ulf Wiger, Co-founder & Developer Advocate, Feuerlabs Inc.
http://feuerlabs.com