[erlang-questions] Local namespaces in case/try

Dmitry Groshev lambdadmitry@REDACTED
Sun Jul 15 12:01:08 CEST 2012

Robert, language *is* schizophrenic right now thanks to list
comprehensions.

[A || {ok, A} <- B] %% there is no A outside this LC
case hd(B) of
    {ok, A} -> A
end
%% and now we have A bound. Feels like asylum

In my opinion, there are only two ways to make it less so:
-do some magic and rework list comprehensions so they export their
variables — it's hard with current LC implementation, but it's doable. It
will break some code for sure;
-rework case/if/receive statements to introduce their own namespaces. It
will not break any code that compiles without warnings, because reuse of
variables outside of case/if/receive emits a warning right now.
The second one is better, I think.