[erlang-questions] gen_server state is not released for gc

Jon Watte jwatte@REDACTED
Wed Jan 18 18:53:44 CET 2012

Again, the question is whether a smart enough compiler or VM couldn't just
get rid of this reference? Specifically, because nothing is called without
the module specifier, the VM could inline it, and in turn drop the
reference to the binary, right?
Whereas if the call to nothing was made with module name qualification,
then that inline replacement could not take place, and the reference would
have to be retained?

Sincerely,

jw

--
Americans might object: there is no way we would sacrifice our living
standards for the benefit of people in the rest of the world. Nevertheless,