[erlang-questions] gen_server state is not released for gc

Björn-Egil Dahlberg wallentin.dahlberg@REDACTED
Mon Jan 16 20:34:45 CET 2012

Den 16 januari 2012 18:24 skrev Jon Watte <jwatte@REDACTED>:

> Is this an artifact of the current implementation?
> Semantically, I don't see why a sufficiently smart VM wouldn't be able to
> collect the binary at that point.

Hmm, yes, I did not answer correctly to the example. (Bad teacher) "A"
isn't used in the above example so it will be garbed. Let me show you by
example what I mean.

-module(test).

-compile([export_all]).

go1() ->
    {ok, A} = file:read_file("test.erl"),
    go1(A).

go1(A) ->
    ok = nothing(A),
    erlang:garbage_collect(),
    io:format("~p~n", [erlang:process_info(self(), binary)]),
    ok.

go2() ->
    {ok, A} = file:read_file("test.erl"),
    go2(A).

go2(A) ->
    erlang:garbage_collect(),
    ok = nothing(A),
    io:format("~p~n", [erlang:process_info(self(), binary)]),
    ok.

nothing(_) -> ok.

What will the two functions go1 and go2 produce?

Eshell V5.9.1  (abort with ^G)
1> test:go1().
{binary,[]}
ok