[erlang-questions] Misultin EOL

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Sat Feb 18 15:32:03 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Tim Watson <watson.timothy@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> I don't think you actually *need* a single scripting language to rule
> them all - nowhere else is this the case. Even in PHP there are
> templating and MVC frameworks, because fundamentally any large code
> base begins to fray at the seams in the face of 'scriptlet' code
> because it is
>
> (a) hard to isolate and therefore
> (b) hard to unit test
> (c) makes it 'easy' to do the wrong thing and mingle view generation
> and business logic, violating separation of concerns
>
> Personally I avoid things like this (PHP, JSP, ASP.NET, etc) like the
> plague, opting for templating tools like ErlyDTL or - more often than
> not - generating JSON/XML directly from the data model and
> streaming/serialising this back to the client.
>
> Other than that, I think a consistent interface between the different
> web servers is a bloody awesome step in the right direction. One thing
> that simple_bridge does well, in its philosophy at least, is to
> delegate to the underlying framework/server as much as possible, for
> things like identifying the mime type.
>
> Also I don't think that the implementation adapter should make choices
> about, for example, the JSON library used to do the
> serialisation/de-serialisation as in
> https://github.com/joearms/adapter_pattern/blob/master/mochiweb_adapter.erl#L48.
> I want to make my own choices when I'm building a web application,

I quite agree - this code was just a proof-of-concept not
frozen in stone.

As I see things there are two layers:

*inside* EHE I'd write code like this:

   <?e Value = SYS:get_key(Key),,, ?>

SYS:get_key(Val) would have a well defined type that never changes.

*outside* EHE I would define the semantics of get_key
so I could say If I wanted a memory resident db, persistent,
replicated, authenticated and so on.

> which include
>
> 1. what libraries I use to serialise/de-serialise data
> 2. what scripting and/or templating libraries I wish to use to
> generate content (if this approach is in play)
> 3. what response codes I want to send to the client
>
> So I fundamentally like where you're going with this, but it's a bit
> too high a level of abstraction for a 'generic web server api' and is
> making too many choices about these things (above). You need to offer
> lower level APIs that bridge the different web servers, as
> simple_bridge does. And on that note, if parameterised modules are
> going to be official and 'ok' soon, then simple_bridge is actually a
> long way ahead already, so maybe it's worth spending some time looking
> at it too.

I agree

/Joe