[erlang-questions] Misultin EOL

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Sat Feb 18 14:19:55 CET 2012

Hi Joe,

I don't think you actually *need* a single scripting language to rule
them all - nowhere else is this the case. Even in PHP there are
templating and MVC frameworks, because fundamentally any large code
base begins to fray at the seams in the face of 'scriptlet' code
because it is

(a) hard to isolate and therefore
(b) hard to unit test
(c) makes it 'easy' to do the wrong thing and mingle view generation
and business logic, violating separation of concerns

Personally I avoid things like this (PHP, JSP, ASP.NET, etc) like the
plague, opting for templating tools like ErlyDTL or - more often than
not - generating JSON/XML directly from the data model and
streaming/serialising this back to the client.

Other than that, I think a consistent interface between the different
web servers is a bloody awesome step in the right direction. One thing
that simple_bridge does well, in its philosophy at least, is to
delegate to the underlying framework/server as much as possible, for
things like identifying the mime type.

Also I don't think that the implementation adapter should make choices
about, for example, the JSON library used to do the
serialisation/de-serialisation as in
https://github.com/joearms/adapter_pattern/blob/master/mochiweb_adapter.erl#L48.
I want to make my own choices when I'm building a web application,
which include

1. what libraries I use to serialise/de-serialise data
2. what scripting and/or templating libraries I wish to use to
generate content (if this approach is in play)
3. what response codes I want to send to the client

So I fundamentally like where you're going with this, but it's a bit
too high a level of abstraction for a 'generic web server api' and is
making too many choices about these things (above). You need to offer
lower level APIs that bridge the different web servers, as
simple_bridge does. And on that note, if parameterised modules are
going to be official and 'ok' soon, then simple_bridge is actually a
long way ahead already, so maybe it's worth spending some time looking
at it too.