[erlang-questions] The future of Erlang and BEAM

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Sat Feb 11 21:49:23 CET 2012

I'd really second this. I work with both Erlang and Java (alongside a few
other bits and peices) on a daily basis and slowness isn't something I've
really run into major difficulties with Erlang at all. If you take a look
at that rather well documented case of the chat at Github who implemented
an Erlang git daemon, but then found it to be too slow so abandoned it. A
more experiences Erlang programmer came along and refactored the code for
massive performance improvements.

It's true that sometimes you need raw throughput that Erlang can't provide
and need to break out to C/C++ with a port/nif or whatever, but that's not
so often the case. Also I prefer to 'pick the right tool for the job' and
not every system has to be monolithic running on only one VM.

Cheers,

Tim