[erlang-questions] Variables and side-effects

Jeremy Ong jeremy@REDACTED
Sun Dec 30 20:48:23 CET 2012

Other possibilities for handling global variables:

Using app configs (either with the config file or application:set_env/2
application:get_env/3)
Defining a macro in a header file that you include in every module that
needs to access the constant
Returning the value in a function exported by some module (this seems
strange to me).

If the value is truly constant and is meaningful to a specific application,
I would strongly recommend the first approach. The second approach is a bit
harder to reason about and requires more resource juggling for the
developer.