[erlang-questions] PropEr commercial training?

John Hughes john.hughes@REDACTED
Thu Dec 20 00:17:58 CET 2012

Indeed, Motiejus, Quviq offers property-based testing courses of 2-3 days,
on site at the customer. It works best to combine a course with another few
days
of consultancy to get people started on making specifications of their own
code. There's a big difference between solving problems on a course, which
have to be relatively small to be accessible in a short time, and tackling a
real piece of software, and a few days of help testing your own code makes
a big contribution to bridging that gap. We usually sell this service in
conjunction
with QuickCheck licences, but that's not a requirement. Of course, we
use QuickCheck as the property-based testing tool, not PropEr. We supply
licences for course participants for a limited time.

We measure feedback on our courses, and they've been highly appreciated.
If you're interested I can supply references.

John Hughes

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
From: Kostis Sagonas
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:32 PM
To: Motiejus Jakštys
Cc: erlang-questions@REDACTED ; proper@REDACTED
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] PropEr commercial training?

On 12/13/2012 01:24 PM, Motiejus Jakštys wrote:
> Dear Erlangers,
>
> Do you know about any property-based testing training using
> PropEr? I'd be interested on hearing out about the types of
> training available, the target audiences and how they've worked
> in the past.

Hi Motiejus,

I am not sure what you consider as "commercial" training.  Last year we
offered a 3-hour PropEr tutorial in conjunction with the Erlang Factory
in San Francisco. (*)  It only covered "basic" proper functionality and
the integration with the language of types and specs.  There were about
fifteen people attending it, all very familiar with Erlang programming,
and it went well, I think.

Besides that I know that there has been a handful of local Erlang user
groups that have held PropEr tutorials or training sessions in various
places around the world, typically in conjunction with Erlounges.

But I am not aware of anyone who organizes training in PropEr on a
commercial basis. (There is of course a company, Quviq, that provides
courses in property-based testing but it does this for a different tool,
which is not open source.)

Hope this answers your question,

Kostis

(*) You can freely access the material of that tutorial here:

   http://proper.softlab.ntua.gr/Tutorials/Basic_PropEr_Tutorial.html