[erlang-questions] Licensing an Erlang/Emacs Lisp project

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Fri Aug 31 18:05:26 CEST 2012

On 31 Aug 2012, at 15:59, Thomas Järvstrand wrote:

> I'm currently working on a project that is a combination of Erlang and Emacs Lisp. The project is currently open sourced under the LGPL but I recently realized that some of the submodules I use are under GPL (the elisp ones) and so I believe I have to change my licensing.

If you include code that is GPL, then you are pretty much stuck with GPL:ing your whole project.

You don't need to worry much about Erlang, though. It remains under its own license
(nothing you do can alter the license of somebody else's components). Erlang's
license is not contageous, and you are allowed to write Erlang code and release it as
GPL (popular examples are PropEr and Ejabberd).

If you want to get fancy, you can meditate over the Mozilla Public License 2.0,
and its wording on compatibility with (L)GPL, but if you're ok with GPL, perhaps
you should just go with that.

BR,
Ulf W

Ulf Wiger, Co-founder & Developer Advocate, Feuerlabs Inc.
http://feuerlabs.com