[erlang-questions] Licensing an Erlang/Emacs Lisp project

Thomas Järvstrand thomas.jarvstrand@REDACTED
Fri Aug 31 15:59:45 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm currently working on a project that is a combination of Erlang and
Emacs Lisp. The project is currently open sourced under the LGPL but I
recently realized that some of the submodules I use are under GPL (the
elisp ones) and so I believe I have to change my licensing.

My problem is that I have no idea what license to choose. Part of my code
will be running in Erlang and part of the code will be running in Elisp
inside an Emacs instance. The submodules are not actually shipped
*with*the project if that makes any difference, but are fetched upon
building the
project.

Specifically, in Erlang I currently have one submodule licensed under the
MIT license, and one under Apache v2. In Elisp I'm using 3 submodules, all
of which are licensed under GPLv3.

Is there any way that I can cook this soup? I hear that Erlang doesn't
really work that well with GPL so should I pull out the Erlang parts of the
project and license them separately? Can I then use these as part of my
project? The Elisp code will be communicating with the Erlang parts through
a rest-interface if that makes any difference.

All these licenses confuse me to no end, so it'd be great to get some
advice. Basically my project a bunch of porcelain code that binds together
and configures a bunch of useful tools for erlang development. The whole
point of it is to be an easy-to-setup solution, so I'd really not like to
have to resort to "download this from here, configure this way, rinse,
repeat".

I have no issue with licensing my project under GPL, but I would like a
model that is compatible with what I currently use and gives me freedom to
add new parts to the project in the future.

I would be thankful for any help

Sincerely

Thomas Järvstrand