[erlang-questions] Fear and Loathing in Programming La La Land

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Thu Apr 12 04:58:12 CEST 2012

On 11/04/2012, at 10:20 PM, Jan Burse wrote:

> General Questions:
>
> - Would it be allowed to make a Erlang language realization?

There have been at least three other very-close-to-Erlang implementations
that saw the light of day:  EtoS (Erlang to Scheme) and EC by Maurice
Castro of SERC at RMIT (back when there _was_ a SERC).  See
http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2004-July/012838.html
about EC.  Hmm; there was also GERL (Geoff's Erlang).  I've no idea
what Laurie Brown and Maurice Castro are up to these days.

I'm aware of a couple of other partial implementations which were never
shipped.  At various times I've had copies of GERL and ETOS but would
have a hard time finding them now; the Real Thing is so hard to keep up
with...

> - Any legal problems with copyright or so?

Doesn't look like it.

> - Any ways to certify it, i.e. test suite etc.?

That I can't help with.