Fw: Fw: Did SERC at RMIT go away?

Lawrie Brown Lawrie.Brown@REDACTED
Fri Jul 30 01:54:42 CEST 2004

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 09:29:33PM +0200, Matthias Lang wrote:
> Maurice's biography (http://www.castro.aus.net/~maurice/bio/) strongly
> implies that SERC is dead:
>
>   "...From the closure of the Sofware Engineering Research Centre until
>   December 2003, I worked with the Department of Mathematics..."

As a several times SERC visitor, I can confirm that SERC officially
ceased to exist at the end of 2002 when RMIT canned pretty well all
its research centres in a desperate attempt to stay alive (not that
anyone will officially admit thats what was going on).

Some of SERC's resources, including the systems which ran the SERC
web server were transferred to the Dept of Mathematics at RMIT.
I can only assume they've been closed down or resumed for other uses.

As far as shadows of SERC resources, the EC Erlang Compiler which Maurice
and I worked on is now housed here at ADFA at:
    http://www.cs.adfa.edu.au/~ec/
Some of Maurice's papers relevant to EC are included here.

As for the rest, now scattered I guess.

Cheers
Lawrie

Post: Dr Lawrie Brown, School of IT&EE, UNSW@REDACTED, Canberra 2600 Australia