[erlang-questions] When to catch (was: Module config data and functional programming)

Jon Watte jwatte@REDACTED
Sun Sep 4 08:33:59 CEST 2011

How expensive is the state of the process to re-create? If it's super
expensive, "let it crash" may not be the right choice.
Then again, if the reason you crash is that the state has gotten somehow
corrupted, then crashing might be the only way to "clean it out."
And, on the third hand, when you've sufficiently hardened your application
so that remote connection action cannot disturb it in unintended ways, no
matter what crap gets thrown at it, then "let it crash" doesn't matter,
because you won't crash anyway :-)

Really, I find crash-and-restart to be fine for things that really only
happens once in a blue moon. For anything that's a little more common --
unexpected remote connection disconnect, bad input data or unexpected
message sequencing, for example, those really are design goals of the
system. If all that crashes is the connection of the badly behaving user,
then that's a fine way to disconnect that user. If it's further into the
core of the application, perhaps not so.

Sincerely,

jw

--
Americans might object: there is no way we would sacrifice our living
standards for the benefit of people in the rest of the world. Nevertheless,