[erlang-questions] Timers for hibernated processes

Scott Lystig Fritchie fritchie@REDACTED
Wed Nov 23 00:20:57 CET 2011

Jesper Louis Andersen <jesper.louis.andersen@REDACTED> wrote:

jla> In *principle* this kind of structure should be extremely
jla> scalable. I would try reconstructing the problem without any kind
jla> of other subsystem (TCP, Cowboy, ...) first, so you have a smaller
jla> failing test case. Then you can probably instrument Erlang/OTP by
jla> inspecting the Timer wheel. This will probably tell us a lot more
jla> about the limitations of the timer wheel structure in this case.

Sounds like an excellent use of DTrace, hint hint.....

The hints aren't just for Jesper and Zvi but anyone else who's intersted
in measuring the behavior of stuff inside the Erlang VM.  This stuff is
working its way into (we hope!) R15B right now.  To read more about it,
see:

http://www.snookles.com/slf-blog/2011/11/19/dtrace-and-erlang-a-status-report/
http://www.snookles.com/slf-blog/2011/11/19/systemtap-and-erlang-a-tutorial/

-Scott