[erlang-questions] Timers for hibernated processes

Tue Nov 22 18:10:39 CET 2011

On 2011-11-22 15:20, Zvi wrote:
> I suspect, that timers are not implemented in scalable way in the BEAM
> or there are any soft/hard limits (like for number of processes/ports/
> ets/etc.)

Erlang/OTP uses a timer wheel internally with 64k entries. So if you
have 300k processes, there will be around 300/64 = 4-5 processes per
slot to check, assuming that your timers distribute evenly. If they do
not distribute evenly, which they probably don't, then you have a few
slots with lots of timers in them and many slots with 0 timers in them.

In *principle* this kind of structure should be extremely scalable. I
would try reconstructing the problem without any kind of other subsystem
(TCP, Cowboy, ...) first, so you have a smaller failing test case. Then
you can probably instrument Erlang/OTP by inspecting the Timer wheel.
This will probably tell us a lot more about the limitations of the timer
wheel structure in this case.

--
Jesper Louis Andersen
   Erlang Solutions, Copenhagen, DK