[erlang-questions] Using processes instead of gen_servers

ori brost oribrost@REDACTED
Sun Nov 20 16:31:21 CET 2011

We are writing a server in erlang and we spawn a specialized
gen_server to handle every client that connects to us. We have a
gen_server whose sole purpose is to spawn these gen_servers for each
connecting client, which allows the gen_server spawn call to return
more quickly. After about 150000 clients connect, our msg queue for
this spawning process begins to grow rapidly. Is it possible that
using bare erlang processes instead of gen_servers for the clients can
help here?
(Note, this is the same server from
http://groups.google.com/group/erlang-programming/browse_thread/thread/e92b2c1ae4fcf98c?pli=1).