[erlang-questions] Webmachine pass-off to Misultin/Cowboy

Steve Vinoski vinoski@REDACTED
Sun May 29 23:51:58 CEST 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Tristan Sloughter
<tristan.sloughter@REDACTED> wrote:
> I was curious if anyone has used Misultin or Cowboy in someway with
> Webmachine to handle websockets? My thinking is Webmachine handles
> everything but when an upgrade request is received it passes off the socket
> to Misultin or Cowboy.

You could always port webmachine to Yaws, which has supported
websockets for quite awhile now. But I thought Kevin Smith has already
done something with webmachine and websockets?

https://github.com/kevsmith/webmachine

> I ask this since websockets don't exactly fit the Webmachine way of doing
> things but it would be nice to use Webmachine for everything else. Which was
> also expressed by everyone on the webmachine mailing list when I asked about
> use of websockets in Webmachine.

Correct, since webmachine is all about following the rules of HTTP
while websockets is a way of stepping outside of HTTP.

> But maybe I'm going about this all wrong...

Maybe so; it depends on why stepping outside of HTTP seems advantageous.

--steve