[erlang-questions] Erlang history

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Mon May 23 13:31:54 CEST 2011

I got it wrong it was NU not MU - we wrote a paper about this in 1992
it's at http://www.sics.se/~joe/pubs/prac_appl_prolog.ps

"Use of prolog for developing a new programming language."

J. L. Armstrong, S. R. Virding and M. C. Williams The Practical
Application of Prolog" London 1 -- 3 april 1992

Section 2.6 paragraph 4 says:

"
The first version was a NU Prolog running on a VAX 11/750. It was then
ported
to Quintus Prolog on the same machine ... it was also ported to ALS Prolog
runing on PC/AT's. We then Ported to SICSTUS and changed from the VAX 11/750
to SUBN 3/&0's and then to SICSTUS running on SPARC's.
"

So NU prolog was first was first. The order was NU -> Quintus -> SICSTUS

I don't remember ALS having a s-expression syntax - I thought it was
"edinburgh" standard?

/Joe

2011/5/22 Robert Virding <robert.virding@REDACTED>

> Are you sure? I remember mu-prolog but I can't remember using it.

Also ALS prolog which in the old days had a different more s-expr based