[erlang-questions] Help! rb won't start, and won't stop

Robert Raschke rtrlists@REDACTED
Fri May 20 15:08:49 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Ivan Uemlianin <ivan@REDACTED> wrote:

> Dear Robert
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> You're right, the shell crashes, but I can't start rb from either the
> restarted shell or a fresh shell:
>
>    1> self().
>    <0.15437.1>
>    2> rb:start().
>    {error,already_present}
>    3> self().
>    <0.15437.1>
>
>    4> rb:stop().
>    ** exception exit: {noproc,{gen_server,call,[rb_server,stop,infinity]}}
>         in function  gen_server:call/3
>         in call from rb:stop/0
>    5> self().
>    <0.15444.1>
>    6> rb:start().
>    {error,already_present}
>    7>
>
> rb doesn't seem to show up on appmon or pman either.
>
> Could it somehow have detached itself?  Is there some other way I can find
> its Pid and kill it?

Ah, rb:start() doesn't actually link. Try

supervisor:terminate_child(sasl_sup, rb_server),
supervisor:delete_child(sasl_sup, rb_server).

That should remove the references for you.

And then I would suggest using rb:start_link() instead of the normal start.

Robby