[erlang-questions] Help! rb won't start, and won't stop

Ivan Uemlianin ivan@REDACTED
Fri May 20 14:57:24 CEST 2011

Dear Robert

Thanks for your comments.

You're right, the shell crashes, but I can't start rb from either the
restarted shell or a fresh shell:

     1> self().
     <0.15437.1>
     2> rb:start().
     {error,already_present}
     3> self().
     <0.15437.1>
     4> rb:stop().
     ** exception exit: {noproc,{gen_server,call,[rb_server,stop,infinity]}}
          in function  gen_server:call/3
          in call from rb:stop/0
     5> self().
     <0.15444.1>
     6> rb:start().
     {error,already_present}
     7>

rb doesn't seem to show up on appmon or pman either.

Could it somehow have detached itself?  Is there some other way I can
find its Pid and kill it?

Best wishes

Ivan

On 20/05/2011 13:41, Robert Raschke wrote:

> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Ivan Uemlianin <ivan@REDACTED
> <mailto:ivan@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>     Dear All
>
>     This is my own fault.
>
>     I recently restarted my remote app, connected to the node in a
>     shell, started rb and called rb:show(), expecting a list of a
>     hundred or so reports since starting the app.  I realised too late
>     that rb would show me all the logs in the ten rotating log files.
>
>     I can't remember what I did next.  It included killing the job and
>     quitting the shell.
>
>     When I came back, rb wouldn't start:
>
>         1> {ok,Pid} = rb:start().
>         ** exception error: no match of right hand side value
>     {error,already_present}
>

> At this point your shelll crashed, taking the already started rb with it.
>

>     But it wouldn't stop either:
>
>         2> rb:stop().
>         ** exception exit:
>     {noproc,{gen_server,call,[rb_server,stop,infinity]}}
>              in function  gen_server:call/3
>              in call from rb:stop/0
>

> Thus attempting to stop it gives you this error.
>

>     It wouldn't show me the reports:
>
>      > rb:show(1).
>         ** exception exit: {noproc,{gen_server,call,
>
>     [rb_server,{show_number,1},infinity]}}
>              in function  gen_server:call/3
>

> You should be able to simply rb:start() it again now.
>
> Robby

Ivan A. Uemlianin

                     ivan@REDACTED
                      www.llaisdy.com
                          llaisdy.wordpress.com
                      www.linkedin.com/in/ivanuemlianin

     "Froh, froh! Wie seine Sonnen, seine Sonnen fliegen"
                      (Schiller, Beethoven)