[erlang-questions] DRY principle and the syntax inconsistency in fun vs. vanilla functions

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Fri May 20 06:34:41 CEST 2011

"this particular feature makes perfect sense to me in its current form."

... having arrived, as you said, with experience from e.g., Haskell, having
similar syntax. This is a little like saying, "I had no trouble with riding
a bicycle when I first tried it -- although to be fair, my experiments with
 riding a unicycle gave me a slight head start in terms of skills." As
someone above reported, Clojure dispenses with the need to name the function
for every clause; if you'd only comparable experience had been with Clojure,
you might have found Erlang syntax strangely inconsistent, inconvenient, and
a little hard to learn.

Look, from my experience with Prolog, Erlang's way *also* made perfect sense
to me in its current form. But the arguments I make here apply with almost
equal weight to Prolog anyway -- I found the repetition vaguely annoying at
the time. And the first time I tried to write a multi-clause fun in Erlang I
was hobbled by the preconceptions set both by Prolog and by Erlang's
standard style (and by the spottiness of the official documentation for
multi-clause funs -- I found it first in Joe's book before I found it
online.)

-michael turner