[erlang-questions] 'reply-to' header in this mailing list

Thu May 19 11:03:16 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 08:11:17AM -0600, Jack Moffitt wrote:
> > How about we completely side-step the whole issue and re-structure the
> > various erlang mailing lists a forum instead? And by choosing one of the
> > common and free forum packages we will automatically get a standard (in the
> > sense of being common and much used) behaviour.
>
> I really dislike forums. it's very easy for me to rapidly read and
> reply to any topics on a mailing list, but with a forum I have to 1)
> visit a particular page 2) manually click around. I much prefer having
> things in an email client which is optimized for the job.
>
> The only advantage to forums in my opinion is that the archives tend
> to be much better than mailing list archives.

The archive is a plus for a forum.

There does not seem to be any religious user fractions disaggreing on
how forums should behave. That is also a plus.

Free forum packages often means PHP, MySQL or other sysadm hazzles.
They are more complicated than a mailing list. That is a minus for a forum
(from my point of view). There is of course other party forum hosting,
but they we loose control of the forum archives...