[erlang-questions] DRY principle and the syntax inconsistency in fun vs. vanilla functions

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Thu May 19 08:48:35 CEST 2011

"... multi-clause funs just don't happen all that often ...."

The issue isn't multi-clause funs -- to maintain backward compatibility, if
nothing else, they'd have to retain their current syntax anyway. (Besides:
if multi-clause funs were more clearly documented, they might be
better-known and you might have seen them sooner in other people's code.)

In any case, multi-clause named functions are very common -- I'd say about
one third of the functions I write are multi-clause, and something close to
that ratio seems typical of most Erlang code. All I'm proposing is that we
should have the option of using the syntax of multi-clause funs in named
functions as well -- so that you only have to write the name once, among
other benefits.

-michael turner