[erlang-questions] DRY principle and the syntax inconsistency in fun vs. vanilla functions

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Thu May 19 06:28:03 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Steve Davis <steven.charles.davis@REDACTED
> wrote:

> Since this is the second thread on this issue, I'm assuming you feel
> very strongly about it. Why not file an EEP?

Pedantically: it's not an extension. Arguably, it's really just a bug, to be
filed as "parser fails to parse function definitions consistently." If
someone then tried to assert this inconsistency is an official
inconsistency, because Erlang is *defined* this way, I'd ask, "where?" Where
is the official document that sets forth what Erlang's syntax is? Is it that
same document that describes the syntax of "let", a keyword reserved for use
in some future that never seems to arrive?

> Also you have the option to write a parse transform if you hate it
> that much.

I don't hate it. I just don't see the point of the way things are now. And a
parse transform would be enormous. A fix to the Erlang parser would probably
be a few lines (leaving the parser shorter, no doubt).

> My view remains "if it ain't broke don't fix it", since after a few
> years of writing erlang programs, I do know that it ain't broke.

Brokenness is not the only fault a system can have. As far as I can tell,
the worst consequence of the proposed change is that you'd start seeing code
that looked like this:

fact
  (0) -> 1;
  (N) -> N*fact(N-1).

which is transparently obvious. So the argument that the change somehow
makes code less readable makes no sense to me.

-michael turner