[erlang-questions] Small update on cluster_info app's status

Scott Lystig Fritchie fritchie@REDACTED
Mon Mar 28 23:29:18 CEST 2011

Hi, all.  Erlang Factory was a fun thing.  it was wonderful to see many
old friends and meet new ones.  I wanted to let everyone know about a
correction that I added to the README file for the cluster_info
application.  It was part of my talk at Erlang Factory that gave a tour
of all of the public source code repos (33 of them!) that Basho has
hosted at GitHub.

The slides for my talk are now available at the Erlang Factory web
server, as are many others.  Hopefully the rest will appear in the next
week or so?  http://www.erlang-factory.com/conference/SFBay2011/talks
There's lots of good stuff to read there, especially with three tracks
happening simultaneously and no way to clone myself to attend them all.

The cluster_info part of my slides starts at about slide #37.  Also,
I'll cut-and-paste the text of the cluster_info slides below.

-Scott

--- snip --- snip --- snip --- snip --- snip --- snip --- snip ---

Where is the code that does that?
---------------------------------

For Basho-specific packaging reasons, the code that implements many of
the basic info-generating functions are not contained in this source
repo.  I apologize for that.  Please see the following source:

https://github.com/basho/riak_core/blob/master/src/riak_core_cinfo_basic.erl

This code is also licensed under the Apache Public License version 2.
Please feel free to use as much or as little of it as you wish.
Meanwhile, I will look into refactoring the code to see if it's
practical to move it out of the `riak_core` source repo and into this
one.

--- snip --- snip --- snip --- snip --- snip --- snip --- snip ---

cluster_info
------------

How many times have you needed more info about an Erlang system?
  * Memory usage, # of processes, RAM used, ETS table sizes, # of
    ports in use, ...
  * You need it for all nodes in the cluster.
  * You need it simple. Single-command simple.

* dump_all_connected("/tmp/out.txt").
* All nodes' output -> one file
* Includes all of the info bits mentioned earlier
  * ... and very easy to extend.

% egrep '^==* ' /tmp/out.txt
== Node: 'riak@REDACTED'
= Generator name: Current time and date
= Generator name: VM statistics
= Generator name: erlang:memory() summary
= Generator name: Top 50 process memory hogs
= Generator name: Registered process names
= Generator name: Registered process name via regs()
= Generator name: Non-zero mailbox sizes
= Generator name: Ports
= Generator name: Applications
= Generator name: Timer status
= Generator name: ETS summary
= Generator name: Nodes summary
= Generator name: net_kernel summary
= Generator name: inet_db summary
= Generator name: Alarm summary
= Generator name: Global summary
= Generator name: erlang:system_info() summary
= Generator name: Loaded modules
[... output truncated ...]