[erlang-questions] Automated Stripping of otp libraries / modules

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Fri Jun 24 12:44:29 CEST 2011

Regarding static analysis, I seem to recall that Sven-Olof Nyström's soft typing analysis iterated control flow and dataflow analysis, and could thus (at least in theory) figure out the higher-order calls and get a tighter bound than xref.

Here is the page: http://user.it.uu.se/~svenolof/SA/
You will have to talk to Sven-Olof if there are any support issues.

Unfortunately, the control flow analysis problem is difficult, so we can't expect too much in the general case. Just adding closures to the language makes control flow tricky. In erlang, we furthermore have some extra complications, e.g., constructing module and function names at runtime and invoking them.

As you note later on, modules furthermore sometimes group unrelated functions and so the module call graph can yield irritating false dependences. Some years ago, I saw exactly this problem when developing a high-level optimizer for erlang; it can get particularly annoying with libraries like lists. My solution then was to start off with a round of (automated) module splitting. That might not be for everyone, of course.

Best,

Thomas