[erlang-questions] strftime for formatting dates and times

Masklinn masklinn@REDACTED
Wed Jun 22 10:53:16 CEST 2011

On 2011-06-21, at 19:38 , Björn-Egil Dahlberg wrote:
> On 2011-06-21 17:28, Adam Lindberg wrote:
>> Would love this being integrated into calendar! (Or appropriate module,
>> although I think calendar should be the one)
>
> I like this also and I probably would want something similar folded into calendar or another module.
>
> * Abit of topic *
>
> This weekend a wrote something similar looking at python, ruby and perl api:s for datetime, time and calendar functionality. Trying to get a feel for what would be ok. However, most of those api:s are emulations of standard C time conversions. gmtime, mktime, localtime etc. Horrible horrible syntax in my opinion. On the other hand it is rather familiar.

Though it's mostly object-oriented (and quite verbose owing to being Java), Joda-Time is generally considered a pretty nice API for an API handling just about everything related to date and time.

See also JSR-310, which was authored by Joda's original developer and is an evolution of Joda (rather than a port or direct evolution) using lessons learned from Joda.