[erlang-questions] strftime for formatting dates and times

Björn-Egil Dahlberg egil@REDACTED
Tue Jun 21 19:38:38 CEST 2011

On 2011-06-21 17:28, Adam Lindberg wrote:
> Would love this being integrated into calendar! (Or appropriate module,
> although I think calendar should be the one)

I like this also and I probably would want something similar folded into
calendar or another module.

* Abit of topic *

This weekend a wrote something similar looking at python, ruby and perl
api:s for datetime, time and calendar functionality. Trying to get a
feel for what would be ok. However, most of those api:s are emulations
of standard C time conversions. gmtime, mktime, localtime etc. Horrible
horrible syntax in my opinion. On the other hand it is rather familiar.

Why would you look on something like this? Well conversion between
timezones, utc, epochs, dst and such would really be great to have. And
i do not think calendar will suffice for this. For instance, should we
have a #time{} record instead of {{Y,Mon,D},{H,Min,S}} :: datetime()?

-record(time, {
     year   :: integer(),
     month  :: 1..12,
     mday   :: 1..31,